The technology enabled world we are creating is already incredibly wonderful. The future will be even better! Tracking the future of all things cyber is more than just fun, it can (and should) help influence decisions you make today. Knowing what is coming can help you make career path choices, help you decide how to self educate/train, and help you make decisions on what to buy and when. The future of technology can also inform investment decisions.
We are optimists and welcome the exciting new developments unfolding before us every day. But there are parts that should make us all uneasy. We deserve to have concerns and should articulate them and seek solutions to our concerns. For example, collectively we should consider ways to enhance our defenses against cyber threats and threats to our privacy. We capture tips on how to protect your home, but there are bigger issues to think through as well, like the rise of very sophisticated cyber threat actors/attackers. We should all also be tracking the potential of job disrupting robots and artificial intelligence. On top of that there is the business impact of continued technology disruption.
We track the near term future of all things cyber by breaking the Tech Landscape into seven key megatrends:
- Artificial Intelligence: Tracking the future of thinking machines large and small, including the AI enabled systems used by your smartphone.
- Cloud Computing: Powerful centralized computing delivering new capabilities like software as a service and most of the ecommerce and social media services we all use today.
- Mobile Computing: Connected super-computers in your hand giving people ESP-like super powers. Our smartphones now ship with dozens of high end sensors and those are only increasing.
- Big Data Analytics: Making sense of incredible amounts of data, including data generated and used by robotics and the IoT.
- Robotics: Automating every task that can be, creating, and disrupting jobs. This includes, by the way, disrupting entertainment (see Jimmy Fallon and his robots).
- Internet of Things: Everything will have a chip and communicate with everything else, and how we optimize this will help ensure the IoT is focused on what we want.
- Cybersecurity: Evil will aways be lurking. We must all reduce our risks in this connected world. this includes a need for cybersecurity on every
- Books: We curate and list and review the most impactful and insightful books describing the future being built for us all, and also provide insights into the world of science fiction.
Each of these areas move fast making tracking the future hard. We could use your help in this. Let us know what you think by Contacting Us Here. You can also stay in more constant contact by engaging with us via Twitter.
There are many other dimensions of things cyber that are harder to conceptualize. Tracking how cyber is handled in entertainment, including SciFi, is helpful here (and is frankly fun). Some topics of note:
- Amazon Brings Phillip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams to Life
- Three Official Short Films of the Years Before Blade Runner 2049
- Ready Player One
And to laugh a bit more see Things Cyber Humor.