Cybersecurity technologies are solutions specifically designed to improve control over IT in ways that keep adversaries out or spot them quicker when they get in.
The most important thing to know about cybersecurity technologies for your home or business is that you must keep them configured and operating properly or they are worse than worthless. If you have a security technology that fails then it will give you a false sense of well being while letting the bad guys do what they will with you.
A snapshot of the trend right now indicates:
- Some of humanity’s greatest thinkers, business leaders and computer scientists have been struggling to produce new cybersecurity technologies.
- Great progress has been made, but continued innovation across the entire technological landscape and continued innovation by adversaries means this is a constant struggle.
- Cybersecurity solutions will have to advance or none of the other megatrends we review will be optimized.
- Behavioral analytics is seen as a promising approach to enhancing our response
- Machine learning and advanced analytics are also seen as promising approaches.
- Advances in identity management including knowing the exact identity of hardware devices hold some promise in reducing unauthorized use
Perhaps the greatest threat dynamic around cybersecurity solutions is the never ending cycles of innovation in defense and offense. Just as great minds invest in strong solutions in cybersecurity, incredible thought and research goes into creating hacks and attacks that will penetrate. This dynamic will continue well into the future.
For now, we would like to recommend you look at three technologies and also a list of configuration tips designed to capture our recommendations:
- CUJO Smart Internet Security Firewall Reduces Risk To Your Personal Information At Home: Protects from viruses and hacking
- Bitdefender Box: Security for the Internet of Things connected to your home network
- Norton Core: Secure, High-Performance WiFi at home
And to keep operating everything as securely as possible, see:
We track hot Cyber Security Technologies and all the other major mega trends of technology in the Things Cyber Tech Landscape section. The megatrends we track there are:
- Artificial Intelligence: Tracking the future of thinking machines large and small, including the AI enabled systems used by your smartphone.
- Cloud Computing: Powerful centralized computing delivering new capabilities like software as a service and most of the ecommerce and social media services we all use today.
- Mobile Computing: Connected super-computers in your hand giving people ESP-like super powers. Our smartphones now ship with dozens of high end sensors and those are only increasing.
- Big Data Analytics: Making sense of incredible amounts of data, including data generated and used by robotics and the IoT.
- Robotics: Automating every task that can be, creating, and disrupting jobs. This includes, by the way, disrupting entertainment (see Jimmy Fallon and his robots).
- Internet of Things: Everything will have a chip and communicate with everything else, and how we optimize this will help ensure the IoT is focused on what we want.
- Cybersecurity: Evil will aways be lurking. We must all reduce our risks in this connected world. this includes a need for cybersecurity on every
And be sure to find and follow us on Twitter to continue the dialog. We are at @ThingsCyber